Ways to Enhance the Functionality of LCD Displays
Typically displays require some kind of enhancement in order to perform well in vastly different environments. These enhancements are what enable the display to meet the unique performance requirements of the product’s industry and environment, and perform to the expectations of the products’ end-customers. An LCD enhancement can be anything from adding a simple resistive or capacitive touch panel to adding EMI/RFI conductive coatings.
- Touch Screen Integration: Adding a resistive or capacitive touch panel enables the display to be operated by touch.
- Optical Film: Adding films such as anti-reflective (AR), anti-glare (AG), or heat-rejecting (IR) enhance a display’s visibility in bright or outdoor conditions.
- Vandal-Resistant Glass: This is commonly used on ATMs, parking meters, and digital signage.
- EMI/RFI Conductive Coatings: These protect the display from various types of atmospheric disturbance and are commonly used in medical applications.
- LED Backlight Enhancements: Existing LED backlights can be replaced with brighter and/or longer-lasting LEDs to improve performance.
- Optical Bonding: By eliminating the air gap between the LCD and the other substrates, optical bonding enhances the display’s view-ability and ruggedness.
- Heaters: Adding a heater to the LCD allows it to work in extremely cold temperatures.
- Cover Lenses: An additional layer of protective glass which reinforces the strength of the display’s glass screen.
As you can see, there are many available LCD display enhancements to consider when designing your project. No LCD can meet all the needs of every application. That’s why it’s important to know the requirements of your application, industry, and end-user. We can help you in choosing the optimal LCD enhancements for your product.